Carleton does not issue the first pay check to Teaching Assistants until the end of the first month of each term. Teaching Assistants holding a TA position of 130 hours can apply for the TA Advance, and receive short-term funding to help them bridge the gap in income. Via the TA Advance, you can receive up to $750 in the middle of the first month of the term. Any amount received via the Advance is repaid to Carleton through automatic deductions on your first three pay checks.
PLEASE NOTE the application deadline is Friday, September 11th, 2020, at 4:30pm
You can download a the TA Advance application form here.
Vision, Dental, General Health, and Childcare Benefits
NEW you can now make online claims. Click HERE to find out how
All Teaching Assistants at Carleton, in addition to any coverage they may have through the GSA, CUSA, or any other agency, have access to a variety of benefits, including:
What benefits coverage do I have?
You can see how much overall coverage you have for vision, dental, physiotherapy, and chiropractic care in the Benefits Booklet (pdf).
How do I access my benefits/submit a claim?
For everything other than a UHIP claim, there are 3 ways to submit a claim:
Online & Mobile Claims
You can find information on each of these methods on this this Greenshield webpage: How to Submit A Claim.
You can find out how to make an online claim here
You can often have your service provider (i.e. dentist, physiotherapist) make the claim for you. If they are unable to do so, use one of the other two methods described above.
In addition, the Greenshield website, you can pick up paper forms in the union office, or download and print them here:
What Greenshield number (GSC ID) do I use to access my union benefits?
To access your union benefit coverage, your Greenshield ID (GSC ID) number is CTA + your student number.
What if I am also covered by the GSA’s Greenshield benefit plan?
If you want to file a claim under both your GSA plan and your CUPE 4600 plan, you will need to give Greenshield both ID numbers. Those numbers are:
CAR + Student Number (GSA Benefit Plan)
CTA + Student Number (CUPE 4600 Benefit Plan)
Please note that some of your CUPE 4600 benefits are designed to work in tandem with your GSA benefits. A common dental claim, for example, would see the GSA benefits covering 80% and CUPE 4600 benefits covering the remaining 20%.
How can I find out the status of a claim, whether payment has been approved, or how much coverage I have left?
If you register for an online account with Greenshield, you can:
Sign up for direct deposit of claim payments
Submit a “pretend” claim to instantly find out what portion of a claim will be covered
Find a dental, paramedical, or vision care provider in your area
Access your personal claims information, including a breakdown of how your claims were processed
Print personalized claim forms and replacement ID cards
Print your Explanation of Benefits statements for when you need to coordinate benefits
To setup an online account, visit this Greenshield webpage: Sign Up For Plan Member Online Services.
What about making a UHIP claim?
If you have paid UHIP costs to Carleton, you can receive a reimbursement of between $330 and $660, depending on the number of dependents.
To make a UHIP claim, download and fill out this form and return it to the Office of the Deputy Provost, Room 421 Tory Building or by email to Postdoctoral Fellow andTeaching Assistant Coordinator Alyssa Laird at AlyssaLaird@cunet.carleton.ca.
How can I make an online claim?
As of September 2016 TAS can now make online claims.
to find out how to set up online claims, click here
TIA rebate calculator
For more info on the TIA rebate, check out this page
For the latest Unit 1 Collective Agreement, click here
Teaching Assistants are often asked to take on extra work, outside their allotted hours, particularly towards the end of term, when there are outstanding papers or exams to grade. If you do take on extra work, you have the right to be paid for it. The TA Work Log can help you track your hours, and go a long way towards strengthen your argument for additional pay in the event you’re asked to take on extra work.
As well, the TA Work Log can help you track the type of work you’re actually doing, which may differ from the tasks listed on your Assignment of Duties form. At the start of each term, TA’s are provided with an Assignment of Duties form, which describes the actual work you’re being hired to do (i.e. running a lab, marking, leading tutorials). Tracking the type of work you’re doing via the TA Work Log can assist you and and your union in resolving any issues that might arise from the addition of duties you were not originally contracted to take on.
PDF Link: TA Work Log